Ready to try restricting my calories again...

Remember a few weeks ago what happened when I tried to restrict my fat and calories?  Just the thought of restricting lead me straight to a binge. I decided to stop even thinking of restricting and just eat what I felt like eating within the confines of 20g of net carbs which wasn't in and of itself making me feel like binging. Sheesh, do I put an e in binging, bingeing, or do I leave the e out? The dictionary doesn't like either way.

Maybe one thing I should do is clarify that the first step in Binge Eating Disorder therapy is learning to trust food. Trust that you have enough food, trust that you can have food whenever you want, trust that there is no scarcity of food, trust that you don't have to horde food either in your pantry or in your body. I have found great success in the last year when I could just remember that first step. When I was having some emotional difficulties last year and early this year it was impossible to remember the first step and so I couldn't avoid binges. I'm not having emotional difficulties right now so it's easy to remember, and I don't know that if something comes up I won't just forget again, but I'm trying to take it one day at a time and not worry about what bad thing might happen tomorrow so I can avoid a binge today.

I've been on keto for about 6 weeks now and I seem to be doing well with 1) no binge urges (unless I'm eating keto ice cream, which makes sense because it's SO DELICIOUS!) and 2) no cravings (I'm not even craving the keto ice cream, and eating a sweet treat without a craving is really weird, why do people eat sweets when they don't have cravings for them? Or better yet, do they eat the sweets when they aren't having a craving?) I feel like I have a handle on my binge urges, I'm being effortlessly mindful every time I eat, and like I said I'm not having any emotional difficulties right now. I think it's time to try a little restriction and see how it works.

Instead of counting carbs and calories, I'm going to try restricting by doing intermittent fasting. I've experienced that with keto I don't get hungry as often and if I do get hungry I can sometimes just ignore it and it goes away. This is supposedly why so many ketoers fast, because it's as easy as staying busy and distracting yourself. I have lots of questions not least of which are how hungry do you let yourself get, what can you put in your mouth during a fast, and what specific benefit will a fast give me. I watched several informational videos yesterday by three separate medical doctors (Drs. Berg, Barry, & Fung) who are also experts on keto and fasting so I got a lot of questions answered but it feels like these three questions above aren't specifically addressed in a context that will help me or the three doctors each had different answers to the questions. You could say that getting more info left me more confused than before. But at least now I know what questions to ask.

Since they seem to contradict each other, in context if not in fact, maybe what I have to do is pick the doctor that describes the context of the purpose I'm looking for and try to follow what he suggests. I'll do that, I'll focus in on Dr. Fung's methodology for a while and see how it fits for me. Dr. Fung has done the most research specifically on fasting he seems to have made it, not keto, his life's work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to do keto when you have BED...

Fell off the blogging wagon but the diet is better than ever!

Too much of a good thing?