Catching up...

In late-May I started feeling like I was pulling out of a depression I've been in since a friend of mine passed away in January. It wasn't so much that she had died, which was awful of course and I'll miss her very much. My emotional upset was more personal than that, more self-centered of me. She had always been the fat woman I looked at as my saving grace. I always thought, "If she can be that fat and still alive, then there's hope for me." I think I said this already but it bears repeating.

So late-May I was pulling out of the depression, I felt more cheerful, less weighed down, wanting to go out more, maybe even see some friends. I could feel this episode was coming to an end and I was ready to take more constructive action with the panic and fear that had overwhelmed me when Randy died. Instead of just sitting on the couch every night, maybe now I could find the strength to focus my efforts on pulling myself back from that cliff Randy fell off.

As I also said before I knew low-carb was the only option. I talked to my family and explained we would all have to make some changes to our diets if I was going to get healthy. No more bread in the house, no more cereal, no more pasta. We would have fresh fruit at all times (which I can sort of easily resist). And we would have to stop eating out all the time. We inventoried the pantry & fridge, got rid of a lot of carby foods, and organized the left-over containers. Then I made a shopping list for veg, fruit, and meat.

At first I was tentatively thinking 50g of carbs a day, maybe 100. I was thinking maybe some cheat days, maybe some chocolate. I ate like that for about a week. I wasn't counting carbs or calories. I was just eating no bread, no cereal, less sugar. I even had a few tablespoons of rice a couple times. I was easing in, dipping my toe in the water. By the end of the first week I had read enough neo-keto research, blogs, recipes, and testimonials that it started to become clear that if I wanted the full benefits of the decrease in insulin leading to a fat burning state I would have to at least get into the water up to my waist. Then I made a second shopping list to try some low-carb "breads", "biscuits", and to get some bacon.

That is what I did the next week. I started tracking my meals, mainly just to see how much was too much and how much was not enough. I found a few keto calculators that tell you how much protein you should be eating. I decided on a daily caloric intake. I cooked new recipes every night, some winners, some losers. And I made Miracle Biscuits, Fat Head Pizza, and ordered Lily's sugar-free Dark Chocolate Chips on Amazon. Yeah.

If I can have the freedom to eat those three things every day then I really can do keto for life.

Tomorrow: Calories in, calories out, and what happens when a binge-eater starts trying to count them...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to do keto when you have BED...

Fell off the blogging wagon but the diet is better than ever!

Too much of a good thing?